Friday, September 9, 2011

To Start Our Own Peculiar Ways

It's so strange to me how different we perceive something when we're comparing it to something else versus when we're just perceiving it standing alone without any comparison. Perhaps this is just me, but whenever I compare something, it loses a lot of its worth because I start to see only what it's lacking or, on a more positive side, only how much better it is than something else. If I look at something without comparing it at all, even what was better that the other thing seems to have so much more good. That doesn't make any sense. Let me explain it in a different way: pretend object A gets 50 cool points and object B gets 40. Looking at this way, object A really only gets 10 cool points and object B gets 0. However, if I were to look only at object A, it would get 50 and object B would get 40. I, for whatever reason, seem to appreciate things more when they stand alone.

More than that, if I'm comparing two things I only notice the qualities that they both have and then compare them. How unfair is that to the thing that has an amazing ability that doesn't even get noticed just because there's nothing to compare it to?

Where am I even going with this? I don't know. I guess it just goes back to the whole College thing. A few weeks ago, I realized that as I was meeting these new, fabulous people, all I was doing was comparing them to each other, to my friends from home, to the perfect person. No matter, I've learned my lesson and, in that, have learned another cheesy life lesson. Swell.

No comments:

Post a Comment