Wednesday, February 1, 2012

It's the Magical, Mystery Kind


I'm trying out a new life motto. It's kind of crazy. Or, at least, it goes against parts of my Sunday School teachings. I also stole it from a really good movie. The thing is... I think it's a good one. One worth keeping in my back pocket, pulling out for inspiration, tacking up on the inner walls of my mind. The other thing is I think it's one that'll be hard to shake free. I say that because it's one I sort of live by already and have heard in different forms before. We met in the middle, me and this motto.

The motto: We are entitled to happiness and we will be happiest in that happiness when we show gratitude for it. We are entitled to as much happiness as we can handle. If I am not happy, I have the right to seek it... To search around every corner of the earth and in every heart I encounter -- I am entitled to do these things to find my sweet happiness. I have to stop only when I die. And, at that point, I will look back upon my life and smile from happiness about the happiness I was lucky enough to have. I will always throw my arms up and around someone or whatever and express my undying gratitude for my happiness.

While this sounds self-serving and selfish and other scary words with "self" in it, I don't worry about that. I know that I am my most genuine, my kindest, my most generous and charitable, my smartest and sweetest form of myself when I am at my happiest.

1 comment:

  1. Lana, your post reminds me of one of my favorite poems: 'I am a Christian Hedonist' by John Piper. See the whole thing here (http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/poems/for-noel-on-our-25th-wedding-anniversary) my favorite verses are below.

    Call this whatever name you may,
    It is the truth. Shall God display
    His great all-satisfying grace
    In joyless souls? And shall he trace
    The outlines of his majesty
    In hearts that neither taste nor see
    Enough in him to comprehend
    That here their quest is at an end?
    No, God has made another way
    To put his glory on display.
    His goodness shines with brightest rays
    When we delight in all his ways.
    His glory overflows its rim
    When we are satisfied in him.
    His radiance will fill the earth
    When people revel in his worth.
    The beauty of God's holy fire
    Burns brightest in the heart's desire.

    Love, L

    ReplyDelete