Sunday, May 26, 2013

Shakey Graves Built to Roam

First off, I'm tired (remember this, this ties in later in the story), so my writing is probably..... a little too much voice (too frank, too ridiculous, too.... well, Lana) a little too little grammar (also very Lan). Pardon my mistakes, please! Also, the whole Blogger website is in German, so that's fun (confusing)!

ALSO, if I am saying or doing something utterly ridiculous (like posting selfies to my blog that adults I respect read), I am most likely joking. Always assume I'm joking (please).


Anyway.

So, I'm sitting here in the Frankfurt airport when really I should've landed in Prague about... ten minutes ago? "Huh?" You ask? Well, yes, what I mean to say is I did not make the plane to Prague. However, before you pity me, you should hear what happened and pity everyone who has to associate with me. I was sitting by my gate, watching people board and waiting my turn, and I just fell asleep (remember me saying I'm tired). Yup. I fell asleep. The best part is that an alarm went off (completely random, unrelated alarm -- total coincidence) ten minutes before my plane departed and I woke up, turned it off in annoyance at such a stupid, random alarm, and went back to sleep. I saw the time and just went back to sleep. SO STUPID. I AM SO STUPID.

But. It's all good. After being "kindly" told that I probably delayed the plane (which I do feel bad about) and then waiting in line while some travelin' bro flirted with the travel agent, I am here at gate A10 with an espresso (three people told me I looked exhausted, so yeah), a sandwich and I'm sitting by people speaking Arabic. There's also a bratty and witty twelve year old sassing her parents, which I love. I am in a happy place, and I am just thankful that I am still ON MY WAY! Not to mention, two people from my program will be on the flight with me! What a great surprise for them! I am keeping my eyes peeled for their arrival to our gate (they have no idea who I am).

But, let's talk Paris. I had a really pleasant time in Paris. 

Highlights: 

Eating a nutella crepe one time with Jas and another time with Jordan (this is most important)



Seeing Murphy and Jordan. We were able to meet up for an evening, and it was so cool. Of course, there are selfies to prove it. Seeing them really put the spring back in my step. I was exhausted and overwhelmed from traveling alone and being alone in Paris but surrounded by non-Enlighs speakers, so seeing them was so comforting. I also went to dinner with them and kids from their program, which was so delightful. I love meeting friends of friends, because I know that the most exciting thing to share with a friend is another friend. Just as they had told me, there were many funny, smart and enjoyable people on their program. Not to mention, MOROCCAN FOOD. 




Of course, Jas and I had a wonderful time together.
We had to selfie in front of the Eiffel Tower!

Just me representing my university.


Jas crawled into a hole

And still managed to look pretty.



I saw a lot of beautiful things and did a lot of things that you just should do when visiting Paris, but I won't focus on those except for one thing. Jas and I visited the Paris Mosque. This was a very emotional experience for me. It smelled and looked and felt like the Middle East, which was comforting and saddening. I miss my family in Syria, but am trying to just be thankful that they are safe and going about their lives as much as they can. I am grateful for my time at the Mosque, because it brought me a little closer to that part of myself and my family. 




Thank you to my parents for giving me this trip!

More soon,
Lan


No comments:

Post a Comment