Monday, August 16, 2010

"Hey Jojo, Don't you forget your name."

Over the last few days and especially today, I was wigging out. I couldn't really place my finger on why but I was definitely lashing out a little bit (sorry to those of you who had to deal with it) and doing the whole grumpy pout-cross-your-arms thing. Anyway, I was thinking about my life and asked myself, "well, what do you want to make your life about?" and was hit in the face with an epiphany. Naturally, I began writing a letter to myself (I sound so like an insane person. It's ridiculous.) and this is what happened.

"You choose what you make your life about.
Don't forget that.

You did not become stressed recently because of anything that happened to you.
You became stressed because you forgot that this is your life.

You choose what your life is about.

Last year,
that fateful junior year,
you started doing things because you wanted to do them.
Not because you were supposed to.
And you became happy
and felt productive
and satisfied
with your life.

You love yearbook.
Stop acting like it's something you have to do.
Because guess what?
You love it.
You chose to dedicate a part of your life to it next year
not because you were forced to
but because you wanted to.
Because you love it.
Don't forget why you love it.
Or hey,
stop forgetting that you love it.

And this college thing.
Get over it, man.
You love to write,
these essays should be making you happy.
And you want to go to college.
To learn
which is something you love,
something worth making your life about.
So buck up.
You love learning.
And you're applying to colleges because you want to go.
Not because you have to.

Stop doing the things you love because you feel like you have to do them.
You're just lucky what you have to do is something you love.
No wonder you crashed.
You idiot.
Stop “playing the part” of the dramatic teenage girl.
It's not satisfying.
And you know it.

Do things because you want to.
You have so much good ahead of you.
Why do you keep forgetting this?

It is your life.
What do you want to make it about?
Idiot."

So cheesy. But it's so what I needed to realize in that moment. 

3 comments:

  1. In response to your comment on my bloggy, I think you're right about hearing the word college every day for awhile now.

    And in response to this, I think we all need a little pick me up like this from time to time. I may refer to this in my next stress meltdown (my symptoms are showing signs of this illness in full bloom come August 23rd...)

    love ya, lan

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the way you're your own therapist. think of all the therapy bills you'll save later in life.

    -Lex

    p.s. im glad the freakouts been contained. next time it breaks free, EAT ICE CREAM. always works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the way you're your own therapist. think of all the therapy bills you'll save later in life.

    -Lex

    p.s. im glad the freakouts been contained. next time it breaks free, EAT ICE CREAM. always works for me.

    ReplyDelete