Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Things You Just Get Used To

So, as many of you know, I have been out and about in the world for about two months now. After traveling in 3 different countries and, in the US, 10 different states, there is a pretty interesting list of things you just get used to.

1. Accents- Everyone's got a great accent (including myself sometimes). From my cousin's Syrian accent to the French waiter's hot accent to Kat's (Claire's good friend from Arkansas) southern accent to Cansu's Turkish accent to Lexi's northern accent to Clara's English accent to Javier's Puerto Rican accent to my random y'alls, there has been a lot of different ways to say "tomato" if you know what I mean. For those of you that know me, you know I am eating this UP. I love accents! They are hilarious. I swear the reason we all have different accents is because it's so freaking funny.

2. "Let's just ask the locals."- When you're in a new place and you're starving and ready to eat, you better get over being shy and being a tourist. After a horrible incident in Paris that involved picking a random restaurant, my father and I learned quickly that the best thing to do is "just ask the locals."

3. Weird Phrases- This kind of goes along with accents but there were too many great Clara-inpsired phrases to not mention weird lingo. Let's see. There's... playsuits instead of rompers, braces instead of suspenders, pop instead of soda, fives instead of shuffle, argyle instead of hookah, and (thanks, Deb) "Pop this blowsicle stand" instead of well... that one's self-explanatory.

Cansu, me
In our RAWmpers. 
Photo by Kristie Fan


4. "Bipolar Weather"- While it has been summer everywhere I've gone, it is weird to adjust to 13948239587 different temperatures, weather patterns and humidity. My poor hair has been through so much not to mention my skin is as confused as I'd be in a level 5 Chinese class. You just gotta learn to always have an umbrella nearby, master the messy bun and enjoy the good days.

5. Airplanes- Sadly, airports and airplanes are more familiar to me than my own home at this point. Oh well, last time in a long time (I hope...) will be in only 3 days!

6. Bathroom Keys- I don't know why but about half the bathrooms I use in the north require some sort of key. I find myself needing to go to the bathroom and asking one of the employees for a key only to have them hand me a really strange object. After about 30 seconds, I realize there's a key attached to it but I never fail to be confused at first every time. I mean, you just don't expect someone's response to your plea to use the bathroom to entail them handing you a giant metal spoon or the top to a plastic tub of ice cream.

7. Water Bottles- You want water when you're thirsty, you better have one of those babies. Besides the two or three times I've eaten in the dining hall, I don't remember when the last time was that good-tasting water (hotel faucet water is vile) came from the tap.

8. "Hi, my name is Lana! I come from Texas. (pause) No, I don't have a gun license nor do I own a horse." and "Yes, I did just say y'all. (pause) Please get over it now. (pause) It's really not that funny."- Self explanatory.

9. "Home" by ESMZ- It always seems to start and end with this song, the theme song to my summer. I swear I've mentioned this song about every time I post something but oh well, it's always worth mentioning. I've listened to this song without fail at least twice a day. It connects me to the people at home and now to the people at Brown as well for they all seem to know and love it (MOLLY, WHY DO YOU WE LIVE IN TEXAS?!).

2 comments:

  1. Loved this! Number 8 made me laugh! Can't wait to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DON'T KNOW
    other than the fact that it gives us license to say y'all

    ReplyDelete