Saturday, August 7, 2010

Frayed Edges

Home. Let Me Go Ho-o-ome...


And it starts with a plane ride. And ends with a plane ride. Airplanes are weird. They are both a greeting and a farewell; you are both leaving and going. Planes. The dramatic Hellogoodbye. Dang. Today, I peaced Brown and it was wet and snotty and sad. Weepy. It was weepy. Goodbye. I'd have to say I left with a lot more than I came with. New friends, new abs (laughter, guys. Please. Like I would ever start “working out”), new perspectives, and 10 pounds worth of new stuff (Continental let it slide though). What a surreal experience. Freakin' weird. I mean, think about it. You grab (about) 18 different girls with 18 completely different lives and throw them all together in Hegeman A (including Javier, of course) in Providence, Rhode Island of all places. You make them live together, give them nothing to do (Providence, you kind of suck) except spend time with each other, and make sure they know that this is the only thing tying them all together. It's almost cruel but it's awesome at the same time and while we all were homesick and ready to go home, there were still tears over seeing each other for the last time. And then there's that, the going home part, the hello part of the dramatic airplane ride. I am ecstatic to go back to my life again. After two months. Two months. I did it. I made it through and I'd have to say I'm a little different. I am a little battered, a little crazier (shocker.) and a little older. Whatever I am, I'm going home. Home is a strange concept to me now. I kind of forgot what it's like to have your own space that you can do whatever you want with. I've jumped around so much in the past two months that even the idea of leaving your things in the bathroom instead of having a little bathroom bag to carry stuff back and forth is foreign to me. Even when I was home for 3 days, it didn't feel like home. It was just the next place I was staying before taking off. Not my own permanent residence. How strange is that?I mean, it's not a bad thing. I'm certainly not complaining but it is very weird to me and not something I really like. Hello, Home. You are a concept that I am aching to understand again. Hello, life, friends, room, family.

I'll miss you, guys!

Here I am. Saying hellogoodbye on an airplane (I'll have been on 9 planes this summer) for the last time.

-------------------------------------

The best of “Summer 2010” playlist thus far. I'm sure after the whole yearbook camp thing and staying with Grace, I'll have some more great jams.

Home shouldn't even be mentioned at this point but I'm putting it at the top anyway.
Nobody Knows Me At All by The Weepies
Signs by Bloc Party
Lemonade by CocoRosie
California by Phantom Planet
17 by Sky Ferreira
I Am Not A Robot by Marina and the Diamonds
Skinny Love by Bon Iver
Boston by Augustana
***Strong and Courageous by Kirby McDaniel
King of Anything by Sara Bareilles
For the Widows in Paradise by Sufjan Stevens
Give Me One Reason to Stay by Tracy Chapman
You Make My Dreams by Daryl Hall & John Oates
The Cave by Mumford & Sons

***This is a beautiful song by one of my good friends Kirby. Check her song out on iTunes, and if you don't know her but could, TALK TO HER; she's an amazing person.

No comments:

Post a Comment