Saturday, July 14, 2012

The In-Flight Radio

Sometimes I feel like one of the worst things to do after you help someone who truly needs it (perhaps feeding someone or giving them shelter) is "feel good."

"Helping people makes me feel good." I hear this a lot. Sometimes from myself. I don't like this kind of response.

I don't like it, because I should not be pleased with myself for doing something that I am required to do. We are required to help each other and give people what they need as much as we can. I am not doing someone a favor when I give someone what they need -- I am just doing one of those life responsibilities. Do I pat myself on the back every time I breathe? Do I put on my resume how many meals I've had in the last year? Why are we so obsessed with the idea that helping people is optional? We are all entitled to getting what we need, and, with that, responsible for giving to others what they need if we can.


Now. With all of that being said, believe me what I tell you that I know there is more to this. That is all I have on the matter for now, but I am young and have only just started thinking about this. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment